IL: Urbana Champaign - Univ. of Illinois
0 - 5 years
Unique Full Time Year Round Research Engineer Opportunity
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Research Engineer Reporting to the Director of the Newmark Structural Engineering Laboratory (NSEL), the Research Engineer will carry out a variety of research and educational activities in the areas of structural engineering, construction materials, geotechnical engineering, and computer-based structural modeling.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Execute research projects involving experimental testing including performing structural design and analysis of specimens.
• Analyze and curate research data and compile it in technical reports and presentations.
• Advise students on various experimental testing stages and methods including computer-based structural modeling, instrumentation planning, data acquisition, and test setup.
• Collaborate with laboratory technicians to set up structural test fixtures and install experimental specimens.
• Configure servo-hydraulic systems for structural testing and assist researchers in conducting experiments.
• Assemble, connect and check data acquisition and instrumentation systems for structural testing.
• Assist faculty with the planning and development of large-scale proposals, initiatives, and research projects involving NSEL.
• Assist with teaching experimental sections for undergraduate and graduate courses.
• Collaborate with staff at other laboratories and machine shops across campus.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or any related field
• Two years of experimental research experience or related engineering professional experience.
• Master’s degree in Engineering
• Proficiency in all forms of communication.
• Demonstrated teamwork, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
The Research Engineer position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references in a single PDF by December 18, 2020.
Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Jill Randell at email@example.com or (217) 244-0285. Please indicate in your cover letter that you saw this opening from Brian Quinn at SE Solutions.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit: The Grainger College of Engineering
Title: Research Engineer - Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (134904)
Open Date: 11/20/2020
Close Date: 12/18/2020
Organization Name: Civil and Environmental Eng
If you are interested in learning more, or if you know of another structural engineer who you think has some of the characteristics please e-mail Brian Quinn, PE.
Email Brian Quinn
All inquiries are kept confidential.