ASCE 7 Hazard Tool
Have you been using the ASCE 7 Hazard tool to look up important site-specific information for your building projects? Are you aware that the new ASCE 7-22 provisions are now included in the Hazard Tool, including Tornado speeds?
During the December 2021 SEU session ASCE 7-16 Wind Provisions (plus Updates), Cherylyn Henry noted that the ASCE 7 Hazard Tool now includes the ASCE 7-22 provisions and users can now access 3 editions of ASCE 7 site specific information for their projects. This tool is FREE for all users.
According to the ASCE 7 Hazard Tool website, the following site-specific data is provided in both customary and SI units for ASCE 7-10, 7-16 and 7-22:
- Three-second gust wind speeds at 33 feet above ground for Exposure Category C, including identification of hurricane-prone and wind-borne debris regions.
- Seismic coefficients plus the seismic design category.
- Radial ice thickness with concurrent 3-second gust speeds for 50-year mean recurrence interval and temperature concurrent with ice thickness due to freezing rain.
- Ground snow load, 20-year MRI value, and Winter Wind parameter (W2).
- Median 15-minute and 60-minute duration rainfall intensities for 100-year mean recurrence interval.
- Flood zone and static base flood elevation.
- Tornado speeds.
- Whether the site is in a mapped tsunami design zone.
The ASCE 7 Hazard Tool eliminates having to interpolate from contour lines on a map and saves time by noting when certain parameters need not be considered for specific risk categories. This FREE tool is especially helpful to determine differences between editions of ASCE 7.